This position facilitates student learning by (a) helping to clarify specific course content in a given subject and (b) Promoting/modeling the use of appropriate study strategies.
• Be prepared to work one-on-one, or with up to several students at once as needed
• Encourage active participation of students in tutoring sessions
• Direct students to appropriate additional academic resources. Including, but not limited to, the Virtual Library, Smarthinking online tutoring and external online resources
• Arrive on time for, and be available for the duration of, scheduled tutoring sessions
• Maintain an accurate record of student visits to tutoring sessions
• Respond to feedback given by the Learning Lab coordinator, College faculty or other College staff
• Other duties as assigned
Education or Training: Associate’s degree in the area of tutoring or a closely related area. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Individuals with Associate’s degree in career and technical fields will be considered equivalent education.
• A grade of B or higher in all course(s) and/or academic subject areas for which tutoring services will be offered.
Experience in the field: Teaching/tutoring experience, particularly in post-secondary courses, preferred. Other relevant work experience that demonstrates either knowledge of the content or the ability to work with students or the ability to communicate ideas effectively.
Special Skills or abilities directly applicable to the position: Excellent interpersonal communication skills required. Basic computer literacy. Ability to interact with a diverse student population.
Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment and the ability to effectively work with students, employees, and community members having diverse backgrounds.
Bilingual (English/Spanish) or conversational language abilities preferred.